Triamcinolone belongs to a class of drugs called corticosteroids. It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.
Triamcinolone oral (taken by mouth) is used to treat many different conditions such as allergic disorders, skin conditions, ulcerative colitis, arthritis, lupus, psoriasis, or breathing disorders.
Triamcinolone may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Take triamcinolone exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results from this medication.
Take triamcinolone with food to prevent stomach upset.
Your steroid medication needs may change if you have unusual stress such as a serious illness, fever or infection, or if you have surgery or a medical emergency. Tell your doctor about any such situation that affects you.
If you missed a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Store Triamcinolone at room temperature. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Abana out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- Do not change your dose or use this medication for a longer time than prescribed. Be sure to ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about your treatment.
- Do not use Triamcinolone if you are taking prescription and nonprescription/herbal products, especially: aldesleukin, mifepristone, drugs for diabetes, estrogens (e.g., birth control pills), drugs that can cause bleeding/bruising (including antiplatelet drugs such as clopidogrel, “blood thinners” such as dabigatran/warfarin, NSAIDs.
- Avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Call your doctor for preventive treatment if you are exposed to chicken pox or measles. These conditions can be serious or even fatal in people who are using steroid medication.
- Do not receive a “live” vaccine while you are taking triamcinolone. Vaccines may not work as well while you are taking a steroid.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to triamcinolone: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- problems with your vision;
- swelling, rapid weight gain, feeling short of breath;
- severe depression, unusual thoughts or behavior, seizure (convulsions);
- bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood;
- low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling); or
- dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure)